On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:39:33PM -0700, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
> > I'm curious what Makefile's are supposed to use if not ${INSTALL}.

The poorly named COPY variable can be (ab)used as a general install flags
variable in most places.

> Well, I personally believe that if install's -d option is
> mutually exclusive of -bCcpSs, then install should reset
> things instead of issue an error.

I combinations of flags that don't make sense should just do something
reasonable (usually, ignore the secondary flags).  It's not even practical
to document all the sensible combinations of flags for utilities with
lots of flags.

Bruce