* From "Steven G. Kargl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> J. Mallett said:
> > * From "Steven G. Kargl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > The first patch fixes install(1).  The reamining patches
> > > correctly document the breakage of rev 1.55 of xinstall.c
>
> I should have stated that if the first patch isn't
> acceptable, then the remaining patches should be
> applied.
>

> > The last patch is wrong, the others are good, though a warning about the
> > overriding of flags might be nice until this is ACCEPTED behaviour by the
> > user community.
> >
> > The third patch is wrong because there are things other than -C that one
> > might want to override INSTALL with, for example an INSTALL that uses a
> > replacement program that static relinks an executable being installed
> > to a partition where its dynamic dependencies are not satisfied.
>
> No.  The third patch is correct (see below); otherwise I could set
> INSTALL to " install -C"  QED.

And I could set BINOWN to something bogus.

Don't protect the user by removing functionality.
--
J. Mallett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    FreeBSD: The Power To Serve

        "I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically."
           -- George W. Bush, Radio-Television Correspondents Association
              dinner, Washington, D.C., March 29, 2001