Maxime Henrion wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > What exactly does this do, besides implying "-fno-builtin"?
> >
> > The documentation says "and implies main has no special requirements"...
> >
> > Neither the kernel nor modules have a "main", so the only thing that's
> > relevent here is the "-fno-builtin", right?
>
> IIRC, -ffreestanding prevented GCC3 from being stupid optimizations like
> changing occurences of printf("constant string\n") to puts("constant
> string"), which failed for kernel builds since we don't have puts() in
> the kernel...

That is an incredibly *fugly* "optimization".  It assumes that I
use libc, unless I have "-ffreestanding", and it assumes my
implementation of printf vs. puts.

It sounds like "-ffreestanding -fbuiltin" should be the default for
everything but the kernel, which should not have "-fbuiltin"...

-- Terry