> I don't know if I'm the one that observed this.  Building world
> completed with default CFLAGS (-O -pipe -march=pentiumpro), but
> failed with -O0 or without optimization. /usr/src cvsupped within
> one day. Here's the error message (same for -O0 and without -O).
>
> ===> libexec/rtld-elf
> cc -pipe -march=pentiumpro -Wall -DFREEBSD_ELF
> -I/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386
> -I/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf -elf -fpic -DPIC
> -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-extra-args  -c
> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c
> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c: In function
> `atomic_decr_int':
> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386/rtld_machdep.h:58:
> inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
>
> Is it a gcc31 problem?

I ran into, what I think is the same thing as you're describing, a
while ago.  The short and skinny being that -O0 doesn't compile any
ASM which breaks things and is why you need at least -O to compile the
kernel/world.  ::shrug:: I could've botched that explanation, but it
took me a while to track this down and have it explained.  Kind of
obscure IMHO.  Someone suggested testing to make sure that at least -O
is specified where needed, but I'm 99% sure I haven't seen that
commit.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden