On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:23:06PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> Hi,
> [bde cc'd - it seems to be sio related]
>
> I have an i386 toshiba laptop, running FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #4: Sat Aug 10
> 13:27:55 BST 2002. I can get a 100% reproducible hang by doing the
> following:
>
> - Connect a serial cable between my laptop and a PC
> - run "tip -9600 com1"
>    (where com1 in /etc/remote is the default:
>     "com1:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:")
> - power down the PC.
>
> My laptop hangs solid, and DDB cannot be entered from the keyboard. Note
> that if I close tip before powering down the PC, i don't get a hang. I am
> not using ACPI.
>
> Interestingly, if I type something and then power up the PC again, that
> character will echo on the screen before locking up again. By
> power-cycling the PC frequently, i could actually carry on using my
> laptop. Power cycling the PC (either on->off or off->on) seems to unlock
> the laptop for a fraction of a second.

i have similar symptoms on my toshiba tecra 8000 under -stable ever since
i installed fbsd on it (~4.1 i think), fbsd freezes when whatever terminal
emulation (tip, cu , minicom) is still running when the remote side is
powered down or the serial line is disconnected. but when the remote
side (pc, router, ...) is powered on or the serial line is connected
again fbsd unfreezes and continues to work. i had the "unlocks the
laptop for a fraction of a second" just once when the remote side was
an amiga 500...
imho this is enirely related to (some) toshiba serial interfaces, at least
i haven't seen this behaviour on other pcs running fbsd so far