makonnen> I would like to be able to continue doing everything short of
makonnen> install as a regular user. Is it really necessary to require root
makonnen> privs to buildworld?

Agreed.  I haven't been able to come up with a way to convince make to
adjust the destination path according to the source path.  Given this
subset of rules from /usr/src/etc/sendmail/Makefile:

.SUFFIXES:      .mc .cf

.mc.cf:         ${M4FILES}
        ${RM} ${.TARGET}
        (cd ${.CURDIR} && \
            ${M4} -D_CF_DIR_=${CFDIR}/ ${SENDMAIL_M4_FLAGS} \
                ${CFDIR}/m4/cf.m4 ${@:R}.mc) > ${.TARGET}
        ${CHMOD} ${ROMODE} ${.TARGET}

SENDMAIL_MC=    /etc/mail/foo.mc
SENDMAIL_ADDITIONAL_MC= /usr/local/etc/foo.mc

INSTALL_CF=     ${SENDMAIL_MC:R}.cf
SENDMAIL_ADDITIONAL_CF= ${SENDMAIL_ADDITIONAL_MC:S/.mc$/.cf/g}

all:    ${INSTALL_CF} ${SENDMAIL_ADDITIONAL_CF}

Currently, /etc/mail/foo.cf and /usr/local/etc/foo.cf will be built.
I'd prefer /usr/obj/usr/src/etc/sendmail/etc/mail/foo.cf and
/usr/obj/usr/src/etc/sendmail/usr/local/etc/foo.cf be created during
buildworld and installed to /etc/mail/ and /usr/local/etc/ respectively
during installworld.  (See /usr/src/etc/sendmail/Makefile for install
rules).

Any Makefile gurus out there who can help?