What I've noticed is that vidcontrol refuses to change the console mode
to anything other than 80x25 or 80x30.  I had it set at 80x60, but CURRENT
no longer likes that.  I've also noticed that starting up XFree4.2.0's server
switches my console from 80x30 back to 80x25.  Funky.

In any case, I don't know anything about problems with /etc/rc.d/syscons,
but perhaps vidcontrol or the kernel is the culprit.

Andrew Lankford