New datapoint:

If I compile the kernel in the old fashion (config SB; cd ../compile/SB;
make depend all install) then the kernel compiles and installs fine.
However I get the error below when doing a 'make kernel' from /usr/src.

Also even after rebooting onto the new kernel bind9 and mysql-server
are still exiting on signal6.

-Steve