* De: Matthias Schuendehuette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [ Data: 2002-09-25 ]
        [ Subjecte: Re: Journaled filesystem in CURRENT ]
> If I may add a comment here...
>
> You already *have* a kind of journaled filesystem for some time now.
>
> Please read "Soft Updates vs. Journalling Filesystems" from M.K.
> McKusick (www.mckusick.com).
>
> I'm really sad if see the efforts done especially for porting JFS to
> FreeBSD, which has already under Linux a more than poor performance.
>
> The only reason for porting JFS is IMHO to be able to mount JFS Volumes
> under FreeBSD - if that's worth the effort...
>
> Why begging for 'Journaling' if you have 'Journaling next generation'?

People concentrating on interoperability uses of filesystems are out
of their minds to be writing them in-kernel, when they could be running
them from userland as userland nfs servers, accessing the raw disks.
All we need is to make this a default part of the system, add a libuserfs
to provide an abstraction layer, and tada.

Let me know when there's a JFS4NFS and I'll give a damn, cause then I
can use it everywhere I'd need to.

FWIW, background fsck and softdep and ufs2 will give you all of the good
stuff you *see* from using a journaled fs, without the corruption of a
whole disk, like my girlfriend's laptop went through, running with Linnex
XFS.

juli.
--
Juli Mallett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]