On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:52:18 -0500 Dan Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > We have something better than those. SoftUpdates. Much faster than
> > jfs in metadata intensive operations.
>
> If you can stand the 20 minutes of severly degraded performance while
> the background fsck runs after a crash, and the loss of any files

Sometimes it's better to have 20 minutes (or how long it takes to do the
bg-fsck on your FS) degraded performance, than no performance at all
(you can have this too, just configure the system to make an fg-fsck
instead of a bg-fsck)... (how long does it take to check the journal and
to do some appropriate actions depending on the journal?)

> created up to 30 seconds (by default) before the crash.

There's no guarantee with a journaled fs, that the data before the crash
is on the disk. A journaled fs is in the same boat with SO here.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.