In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bruce Evans writes:

>This could have been done without devfs by mapping names of special files
>to numeric indexes in the kernel.  Putting the index in the inode is mainly
>an efficiency hack.  Numeric indexes work quite well in the kernel (better
>than pointers in the current implementation, since most drivers prefer to
>work with numbers and call the inefficient replacements of the major() and
>minor macros a lot).

This is actually not true any more.  An increasing number of drivers
derive their softc pointer directly from the dev_t without the detour
over compile-time-fixed-sized arrays of possible unit numbers.

>> In the meantime, DEVFS is the best I could come up with which makes
>> life simpler for users, developers and administrators, and still
>> retains as many of the flaws as we want to keep.
>
>For me, it has saved about 10 minutes of admin time and cost a few
>working weeks of development time so far.

I don't think you are anywhere near the mean, or the  median for
that matter, of FreeBSD users.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956