Thus spake John Baldwin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> > Can anyone explain me why with a recent kernel (last kernel was from
> > 1 year ago) the kernel boot messages disappear from the monitor
> > once the "propellor" of the kernel boot has done like 5 rounds
> > (last message is the last line of the
> > "Booting kernel in X seconds" line, followed by a single "-" on
> > the line, which used to be the propellor)
> You need to setup a /boot/device.hints file if you haven't already so
> that the kernel can configure it's console device.

Nah, that machine already had a device.hints installed.  And also
with an upgraded device.hints (GENERIC.hints copied from /sys/i386/conf)
the same problem occurs.

And I don't think I'd have to edit device.hints on common hardware,
using a GENERIC kernel, do I?  It used to work before :-(

Any more tips?

Alex