On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> Can you try the patch at:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/sys.diffs
>
> I haven't had a chance to compile or test it, but it should
> be easy enough to fix if it doesn't (compile).

It seems a bit fragile.  As I understand it, it loads a clean FP state
if the state in the ucontext is too messed up to use, and changes
some magic numbers to be more magic so that it is easier to detect
messed up states.  But loading a clean FP state is the wrong thing to
do if it wasn't clean to begin with.  I would have thought the current
hack of saving it in the pcb would work better.  Maybe combining these
hacks would work better (load from the pcb, but only if there is no
alternative, and don't load blindly if !PCB_NPXINITDONE).

> I'm still not exactly sure why this causes problems for the
> modula 3 run-time.  I think Bruce may be right in that the
> modula 3 libraries/run-time need to be rebuilt with the
> larger ucontext.

I have no idea about the details.  Rebuilding old binaries to fix
binary compatibility problems is not a solution.

Bruce