On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:26:50PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > > I can appreciate matcd being dropped for 5.0 on pragmatic grounds, but
> > > it would have been nice to have it ride out the rest of 4.x, given that
> > > it actually works right now.  (As I understand it, it's the adoption
> > > of GEOM that signalled the death knell of these old drivers, but GEOM
> > > is a 5.x feature that wouldn't be MFC'd back to 4.x...)
> >
> > Unfortunately there were other issues with the driver unrelated to GEOM
> > that required its removal.
>
> What are these?  I've read the license, and it doesn't appear to
> be a license issue...

Terry,

Please be sure that you are not confusing 'matcd' with 'mcd'.  The
former has a 10 clause license and is not suitable for use in FreeBSD
any more.  The latter has a traditional 4 clause BSD license and
is not scheduled for removal.  In fact, there is at least one
person doing active maintenance on it.

Folks, I mourned the passing of matcd, too.  It supported the first
CD-ROM drive I owned.  However, it is a closed issue.  I encourage
anyone who still desired support for this hardware to investigate
other code bases which we could leverage off of, as long as the
licensing issues involved are well understood and amenible.  Please
do not let it distract from the progress we are making towards the
5.0 release.

Scott