Mark Murray wrote:
> As fortune(6) has a strong maintainer and follower base, removing that
> would be premature.
>
> What remains? All the games that dm(6) oversees. Things like
> adventure(6), trek(6), battlestar(6) and so on. These are good
> candidates for ports IMO.  Folks may want to play them, but there is no
> point in wasting time and space on them _by_default_. In some cases,
> better upgrades are already available in ports (hack --> nethack). I
> would like to make a port out of these and remove them from the base
> distribution.
>
> Let the bikeshed begin. Please try to keep some sense of focus.

As a general comment:

"They do not have a strong maintainer and follower base, so they
 should be removed to ports, where they will continue to exist
 because they have such a strong maintainer and follower base
 that they will have their own FTP site from which the source
 will be maintained by third parties, such that the ports will
 remain viable."

8-) 8-).

It's funny, but since the code would be in the attic anyway, only
unmaintained, it would still be there forever, so I guess we are
only talking about getting the "make world benchmark" times down.

If you want to axe them, then say it; mature open source software
is generally unmaintained, so moving them to ports equals axeing
them, unless the move includes providing FTP archive space for the
source code.

On "tradition":

I actually think the main reason for maintaining them is "nostalgia";
most of us who learned how to program on shared computing resources
remember the games as one of the things that sparked our initial
interest in the computers.  People who learned to program in this
environment, in college computer labs, at 3 AM, with 10 other people,
learned different lessons than the people who learned to program, all
alone, in the dark, on their own PC, in their parent's basement.  Us
"old guys" would claim we learned better lessons: like how to play
nice with others.  It's easy to be nostalgic for those days, and to
want to keep the trappings of them around.

That said... "rain" is a neat display hack.  It's at least as good as
the ASCII art VGA library.  I probably would not miss anything else,
or anything that wasn't multiplayer, very much, if at all... it looks
like an axeing may be in order.

-- Terry