On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:29:32PM -0400, Carl Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:43:20AM +0900, Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> > tlambert2> That's 3.4 hours saved on a 28.8K modem download time,
> > tlambert2> overall...  a 14% reduction in size.
> >
> > The percentage doesn't matter.  If ISO image is compressed, user who
> > downloads the image may de-compress that image to burn (I don't know
> > any about the burner softwares which support compressed ISO image).
> > What's happen if there is no space to make de-compressed image on a HDD?
>
> I do not follow this.  If the user can not fit a non-compressed image
> on their drive then they certainly will not be downloading a non-
> compressed image nor a compressed image hence rendering this whole
> discussion moot for that user...it seems so to me at least.  Maybe I am
> not seeing something?

The temporary space required to do the decompression is what I am
assuming is being reference, although I'm not sure how accurate that
argument is.

> Whether we think the size is too large for dial-up or not people will
> still download it.  And 200MB is absolutely nothing compared to what
> people put up with for full-size distribution ISOs.  You could argue
> that not everyone has gzip (I would assume primarily a Windows user).
> As far as I know there is a DOS version of gzip.  This would be where
> you might need both types of images (compressed and not compressed),
> and that is something up to the snapshots people.

Winzip supports tar and gz, winrar supports bzip2

> One might argue that Mr. Lambert is simply speculating that anyone has
> a 28.8k connection anymore.  What are the odds that everyone fits this:
>
> a: they live close enough to a provider to get broadband (see 'b'),

I did not think distance was a requirement for cable modem, but I do
agree with your logic that not everyone has broadband.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>