[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Evans) writes:

 > On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, walt wrote:

 > > Well, disklabel won't work on an extended/logical partition...

 > Um, disklabel works on any slice.  E.g.:

 > ttyv1:root@gamplex:/tmp> disklabel ad2s3
 > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
 >   c:  1028160        0    unused        0     0              # (Cyl.    0 - 1019)

We have a semantic problem, as often happens when the DOS and BSD worlds collide.

s3 is a 'slice' which is the same as a 'DOS primary partition' and yes, disklabel
works on any 'primary' partition.

My new BSD filesystem is on ad2s8, which is a DOS 'logical' partition in my
'DOS-extended' (primary) partition ad2s4:

#fdisk ad2
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 15 (0x0f),(Extended DOS (LBA))

The logical drive is numbered 's8' because it is the 4th 'logical' drive in
the 'extended DOS' slice, and the 'logical' drives are numbered beginning
with s5 and work upwards from there, and they don't show up in FBSD's fdisk,
unfortunately, though they do show up in /dev.  The 'primary' partitions are
numbered 1 thru 4 only.

I think we have M$ (and perhaps IBM) to thank for this marvelous feature
of the PC which has caused so many headaches over the decades.

If there is a way to create 'logical' partitions in FreeBSD I'm not aware
of it.  I usually use PartitionMagic to do all the grunt work of creating
and resizing such partitions.  And now I can use them as native BSD ufs
filesystems, which I never knew until now.  Cool!