In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
> Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> > Folks,
>
> > I have dual boot machine with -STABLE and -CURRENT (both have own
> > boot slices and few slices are shared between them.)
>
> I don't know all the details, but -CURRENT recently changed the way
> information is recorded in the superblock.  The first copy of the
> superblock will be different between -CURRENT and -STABLE.
>
> Any partitions that are shared between -STABLE and -CURRENT
> must be fsck'd before use on the opposite system.  The fsck was
> changed in -STABLE to look for the difference and correct it
> without getting confused.

This is all very true for 4.7, but what about earlier versions.

I compiled fsck using 4.7 srcs, includes and hierarchy with 4.0
libraries and tools, so that I could have an fsck I could use with my
4.0 CDROM (the latest one I have, unfortunately) to repair any changes
made by my CURRENT system. It does compile with the same errors you get
on a true 4.7 system about unsigned/signed comparisons. It even works as
a program, but it does not repair the filesystem properly to be
compatible with 4.0. You get an instant panic when going multi-user.
This is a real nuisance as it blows my recovery strategy should I ever
need it. If someone could figure out how to fix this I would be grateful
until the time I get my hands on a 5.0 CDROM

The tape format for dump/restore has been changed as well between
CURRENT-Jan 2001 and CURRENT-October 2002.