Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I have no clue how to interpret the output from `sysctl
> hw.acpi.thermal'.

peter@mobile[2:44pm]~-100> sysctl hw.acpi.thermal
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 30
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3281
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3581
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3731
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

The temperatures are in kelvin * 10.  ie: subtract 2731 to get degrees
celcius, then divide by 10.  In my case above: 3281 - 2731 = 550, or 55.0C.

There are two types of cooling.  active or passive.  In my case its passive -
ie: fully automatic.  _PSV is the nominal temperature that the fan starts
to kick in at, 85C in this case.  _CRT is the critical ("you're about
to catch fire") alert temperature - 100C in my case.  I think _HOT is the
point that you should be worried, while _CRT = "power down now or else!".

The various _AC0, _AC1 etc are for the active cooling system.  ie: the OS has
to monitor the temperature, and set the fan speed as it crosses the _AC*
levels.  There is another method that it calls to do this, and this is driven
by the kthread acpi_fan or acpi_thermal, I dont remember exactly.

".tz0." is "thermal zone 0".  There may be more than one zone, especially in
larger servers.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]