I wrote:

> If memory serves me right, John wrote:
>
> >    How many other people are testing the 5.0 sysinstall booted
> > from a cd and running a local (cd/dvd) install? Try booting and
> > installing from the iso at usw2.freebsd.org and see if it works
> > for you.
>
> I'm able to boot and install CURRENT snapshot releases I've generated
> locally (last was around 20021025).  (My machine is a Sabre 1815, ICH2
> ATA100 controller on-board, CDROM probes as "<SONY CD-RW  CRX175E 1.0j>".)
>
> I know that sam and phk were able to do test installs as well.
>
> How are you making your ISO images?  I'm just doing release builds with
> MAKE_ISOS=YES.  I don't *think* that GEOM should have any effect on
> creating the ISO image.
>
> I'll pull down that ISO and try it out, but it might take a little
> while...

Hi John--

I finally got around to testing your snapshot...sorry for the delay.
It stops about where you indicated in your original message (when
trying to mount the CD, "Error mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist: Operation
not supported by device (19)."

You didn't answer my question, which was:  How are you making your ISO
images?  I suspect that you're mastering the ISO images in some way
*other* than the normal MAKE_ISOS=YES method.  isoinfo(1) output on
your disk:

tomcat:cdrom% isoinfo -d -i /dev/acd0c
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: FreeBSD
Volume id: FreeBSD 5.0-20021027-CURRENT
Volume set id:
Publisher id: The FreeBSD.Org snapshot system
Data preparer id: rtp1.FreeBSD.Org
Application id: FreeBSD Snap 5.0-20021027-CURRENT
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set seqence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 97840
NO Joliet present
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found

isoinfo(1) output from my last snapshot (25 October):

CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: FreeBSD
Volume id: fbsd_miniinst
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id:
Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR
(C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set seqence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 132576
Joliet with UCS level 3 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found

Maybe if you build the ISOs using MAKE_ISOS=YES set in your "make
release", you might have better results.  At least if there *is* a
problem, it'd narrow down the scope a little bit.

Good luck!

Bruce.