In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Mitsuru IWASAKI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: I've implemented pccardc power and boot_deactivated support code for
: NEWCARD.  They are needed for some mobile users including me.
:
:  - Add pccardc power support code.  Yes, it's OLDCARD compatible.
:  - Add new loader tunable hw.cbb.boot_deactivated to prevent pccards
:    from attaching automatically.
:
: Some people want to keep pccards in slots all the time even if they
: don't want to use the pccard.  They can power pccard on via pccardc
: command now (and in OLDCARD days) when it's required, so automatic
: attaching pccards at boot time is not desired behavior for them.
:
: This is quick hack actually (took about 1 hour), so it's not
: clean at all.
: But it's good enough for prototype, working great for me actually :)

Interesting.

I'd like to be able to do this on my laptop with PCI devices that I'm
not currently using (like say the sound chip, the usb bus, the
firewire bus, and the one pci device that no driver attaches to).  I'd
also like the ability to turn on and off USB devices as well.  These
busses have different power interfaces (PCI gives you 4 levels of
power, while USB gives you 2).

While we're at it, I'd also like to see a way to attach/detach pccard
devices w/o having to remove the card or unload the driver.  I think
that a good power/device control interface would be useful to have.

So this is a good hack, and likely useful to a lot of people.
However, I'd like to see a more thoughtful design of a good device
control interface.  I think that it dovetails nicely with the work I'm
doing for devd.

Warner