Doug Rabson wrote:
> > You can't have a library that's sort of threaded and sort of not
> > threaded: pick one.
>
> Yes you can - libX11 is *thread safe* but doesn't create threads. When a
> real pthreads implementation is present, libX11 uses its implementation of
> mutex, cond etc. to ensure its own safety. If the application doesn't link
> to a real pthreads implementation, it uses no-op stubs instead.

I'm still not understanding; you say that it's thread-safe, but
mutex, cond, etc. are not, in fact, thread-safe.

Why aren't the libc_r implementations overriding the do-nothing
implementations?

The entire point of weak vs. strong symbols is that the first strong
symbol wins over any weak symbols.

It seems to me that you are saying there is a linker recursion
problem that is not being correctly addressed because no one wants
to admit there is a problem.

I guess my question is: if this is all so wrong, how is it that it
doesn't fail on Solaris, which does the same thing?

-- Terry