> USB is only the transport. It doesn't add or remove functionality (the
> only exception being probing for LUNs on CBI devices). If you want to
> determine the geometry you will have to do this through SCSI commands. I
> was hoping that the CAM code would be smart enough to request the
> details from the drive itself, but perhaps there is a good reason for
> asking the controller for this.
>
> It did work without, so it hasn't been implemented yet. Feel free to
> suggest a SCSI command together with the logic.
>
> What is the GET_GEOMETRY used for anyway?

Well the short version of the problem is that "fdisk -BI <disk>" works
on -stable to get a FreeBSD partition on the Compact Flash. This does
not work on -current anymore. I have traced that back to the commit
in umass.c rev 1.61 that removed the fake geometry setting and just
leave the cylinders, heads and sectors_per_track zero. This cause
fdisk to coredump with a floating point error.

> > In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >             Poul-Henning Kamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > : We should obviously fix it.  I have no idea what is possible in USB
> > : devices in this respect.
> >
> > Nor do I.  Maybe there's some SCSI command that we can send that is
> > well defined enough to work often enough.
> >
> > However, I'm not clueful enough about SCSI to know if this can be done
> > (likely reading some mode page will do it in real SCSI), nor about
> > USB's mass storage devices, nor about all the wonderful and weird
> > variations that one might find in the wild...

John
--
John Hay -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]