On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 08:48:01AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Doug Barton writes:
> >Kirk,
> >
> >I'm adding a bunch of people to the list who were involved in a thread
> >on -current on this topic. I also tried this change and noticed that
> >things did seem a tiny bit snappier (although my system is slow enough
> >that it could have just been my imagination).
>
> All things considered, I think we should just pla to leave it this way
> for 5.0-R.  Until now people were used to wait for fsck to finish, at
> least now they can do something in while it runs.

Well... like I indicated earlier in the thread on -CURRENT, things
were definitely *slow*. I also said I would try to provide benchmarks
if people told me how to do that (and what to time). In any case,
as a rough measurement, starting X on -CURRENT took about 2-3 seconds
vs. about half a second on -STABLE on the exact same hardware.

It was even measurable on a simple 'ls' in a large directory.

I think if this is left in as is, people 'new' to FreeBSD will think
it's dead slow, and move on elsewhere.

> I belive GEOM provides the framework where we can properly tag I/O
> requests with a priority, propagate that priority down to the device
> drivers and act accordingly in the disksort disk-scheduling code.

If that's the case, I'd like to see it in 5.0R.

> That would allow us to address not only the bgfsck but also things
> like silly-seek-syndrome and other sub-optimal issues in our current
> I/O system.

That would be great.

--Stijn

--
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.