In the last episode (Nov 05), Dima Dorfman said:
> Andrew Lankford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > When I try commands like:
> >
> > #devfs rule add path speaker mode 666
>
> Did you set a ruleset before this?
>
>       devfs ruleset 10
>
> > devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error
>
> This is telling you that you're trying to modify ruleset 0.  From the
> man page:
>
>      Ruleset number 0 is the default ruleset for all new
>      mount-points.  It is always empty, cannot be modified or
>      deleted, and does not show up in the output of showsets.

Then it should return EPERM, EACCESS, EINVAL, or basically anything
except EIO, imho.  I got bit by this as well, and thought /sbin/devfs
was simply broken or not fully coded until I saw this post.

Or maybe allow ruleset 0 to be modified like any other?  Is there a
benefit to having an invisible, immutable default ruleset?

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]