Michael Smith wrote:
> On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 04:12 AM, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Repeat: #1 is power profiles
>
> I don't see why this requires an 'acpid'.  You want a control tool,
> sure, but power policy is not something that needs a daemon.

The tool has to change the settings based on events, like
unplugging external power from a laptop, resulting in the
display backlighting being dimmed or turned off.

This isn't necessarily something that can be handled just
by selecing static initial sysctl settings.

Think in terms of the "PowerProfile" system tray icon under
Windows on a Sony VAIO laptop, as it comes configured from
the factory.

The control application that you get when you click on the
system tray icon... that's just eye candy.  I agree that any
application can deal with that.

-- Terry