On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:51:57PM +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > > Yes - this is the only place to put modules which are not built as part
> > > of the kernel, for example /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm.
> > >
> > This port puts it under /usr/local/share/ltmdm/ltmdm.ko.
>
> OK, it may have been a bad example, but I prefer having my kernel modules
> loaded via the standard loader.conf method rather than using kldload for
> modules which I always want to exist. /boot/modules has been documented as
> being in the search path for modules for ages now, it seems unnecessary to
> change this. I think that we do need somewhere on the root partition where
> modules can be kept, without them being lost on the next upgrade.

Yes, the standard search path is /boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/modules.
Nevertheless, we don't create /modules, why should we create /boot/modules?
When you say ``documented'', what do you mean?  ``grep -r /boot/modules
doc/en_US.ISO8859-1'' returns nothing.  Do you mean kldconfig(8) only?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age