As Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > What am i supposed to do in order to get cross-compilation working
> > properly?
>
> NO_CPU_CFLAGS=yes
>
> This is documented in make.conf.

At least not in my version of make.conf's man page.  Just checked,
neither in the current version.

I (and obviously not only I) wish that'd be the default though.  Oh,
it would obviate a flaw with the naming choice (the same as with
NO_KERNELCLEAN, NO_KERNELDEPEND, NO_MODULES, ...): negative options
are evil.  You cannot set ?= them in your make.conf, and override
the actual value from the command line.  But some people seem to be
proud about all this these days.  I still don't buy <bsd.cpu.mk> is
worth all these hassles.  If the compiler should now default to say
pentium code, why not change the compiler's default but invent such
a complicated structure, and leave it to the people who want to
pessimize their own code by adding it manually to CFLAGS in make.conf?

Guess time to look for a cleaner OS.  How's jkhBSD going now? :-)