Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >I have to say that the ownership issue has been a pet peeve of mine for
> >some time: I would really like the kernel to know about exactly two magic
> >id values: uid 0 (suser uid, default uid, default devfs owner), and gid 0
> >(default gid, default devfs owner).  Hard-coding of other non-0 values in
> >the kernel leads to many potential (and real) problems.
>
> While you are right in principle, I think we should not overengineer
> here.
>
> People who are likely to give operator a different gid are also
> very likely to compile their own kernels (which I admit does not
> solve the 3rd party KLD issue but...)
>
> Devfs(8) provides a mechanism for setting the m/o/g and a few other
> attributes, and it would in theory be possible to let all devices
> come up 0/0/0 and have /etc/rc set the policy from /etc/rc.

One fix for this would be to have a UID/GID list that's used to
derive both the default uid/gid values in devices, and the contents
of the default passwd file, so that they matched.

It seems to me that this issue is merely one of getting the UNIX
auth database and the default device attributes to agree, right?

-- Terry