Scott Sipe wrote:
> It was a trap 12, and definitely that address...I think something more
> overarching must be going on though.  I'm able to login with /bin/sh (not
> csh/tcsh) and so I've been trying various things--I can't compile a kernel
> because I get bus errors, same with many ports I've been trying to install.
> pkg_adding seems fine.  Any chance this could be acpi related?

How about this...

o       Are you using a GENERIC kernel?

o       Do you have a timestamp that can be used to check out a
        /usr/src/sys from CVS that will let me build the same
        kernel?

o       Do you have a place I can upload two or more 3/4MB kernel
        files for you to try?

Let's say the answer to all three questions is "yes".

Assuming I can build you a binary kernel from your sources which
then fails on your machine, I believe I can fix the problem, and
give you a new binary kernel that fixes it, if it's the problem I
think it is.

That way, we all win: you get a working kernel, and I get to
convince people that the problem is what I said it was in the
first place: a CPU bug that has to be specifically worked around.

-- Terry