"Paul A. Scott" wrote:
> I do the following:
> cvs co src/contrib
> cvs checkout: in directory src/contrib/cvs:
> cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write <CVS/Template file>: No such file or
> directory
>
> cvs co stops on the src/contrib/cvs directory and will not go further. I
> have plenty of space available on the file system. The problem may be a
> corrupt repository.
>
> Is there any way to do a checkout on src/contrib while bypassing
> src/contrib/cvs? Or, can this be fixed to work?

You are not being quite forthright, I think.

This normally happens on a cvs -R co, rather than a cvs co, when
you are asking for a specific date tag or a release tag which
no longer exists, when running against a read-only repository.

I ran into a similar problem recently, when someone suggested
I use cvs against a FreeBSD server in German, in order to match
their version of the source code so I could create a patch for
a problem they were having.

The answer is that the val-tags file is not writeable, and is
being used.

There was a long discussion on this file ablot 6 months back;
I believe the resolution of that discussion was to make the
${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/val-tags file unnecessary, but advisory, in
the case that it was not writeable.

Probably you can get around the problem by updating your 'cvs',
though it may also be necessary to update the 'cvs' on the
remote host to have the new code, as well.

You can also checkout without a tag, or with a tag that is already
in the val-tags file on the serving host.

Alternately, have them add a line to val-tags with the tag you
want to checkout, e.g. [indentation mine]:

        RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE y

-- Terry