Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:53:06 -0500 (EST)
        From: Wesley Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        To: Kirk McKusick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: Trashed Disk Labels

        On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Kirk McKusick wrote:

        > I have had a report of a disk label getting trashed after booting
        > up to a kernel with the new UFS2 superblock format. I have just
        > checked in an update to ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c (version 1.198) that
        > explicitly checks to make sure that it will not trash your disk
        > label. I highly recommend that you update to this version, even if
        > you are only running with UFS1 filesystems.
        >
        >       Kirk McKusick

        Great! Any tools available to extract my var/db/pkg dirs from this image
        of my trashed UFS2 filesystem? :>

What seems to work is to boot from CD-ROM, use

        disklabel -r -w <disk> auto

to reinstall the default disklabel, then

        disklabel -B <disk>

to put back the bootstrap. At that point your existing filesystems
should all come back. This of course assumes that you used the
orginal default partition sizes. If not, you will need to
figure them out and edit up an appropriate disk label.

        Kirk McKusick