Kirk McKusick wrote:
>         Ah
>         No wonder, I tried editing the /sys/boot/i386/boot2/Makefile
>         to enable UFS2 bootblock but then disklabel complained that
>         boot2 was too big. I will have to revert to UFS1
>         Thanks
>         Manfred
>
> You have hit upon the exact problem. UFS2 has a much bigger area
> reserved for the boot block, but the programs that set up disk labels
> and boot blocks don't know about it yet so assume that they have to
> cram into the much smaller UFS1 boot-block area.

Seems to be a candidate to explain the disklabel corruption,
actually.  The disklabel is expected to follow the initial
boot code, and preceed the region(s) it describes...

Basically, the boot blocks are going to have to know the
disklabel offset, as promiscuous knowledge (i.e. hard-wired
intot he code).

-- Terry