On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:44:58AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>             Ruslan Ermilov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : Um, why?  I can even cross-build any of our supported arches on the
> : 4.0-RELEASE i386 box.  This happens almost automatically, as part
> : of the cross-arch work tasks.
>
> I think that there are some build tools that need a complete copy of
> the byte swapping macros, just so that cross building a sparc64
> platform would work.  It seems to me, and a bunch of others, that
> jumping through a lot of hoops to allow cross building of sparc64 on
> intel on 4.0-release isn't that interesting.  imho.

For the cross-release, yes, the work isn't yet finished (when
creating floppies that, last time I checked, didn't even work
on sparc64, we need to byteswap the filesystem images -- there
is a utility floating around, bswapfs(8), that could be used
to do just this, but it was limited to FFS1 (again, last time
I checked).  Another cross-tool that was needed for this to
work was crunchide(1):

: revision 1.263 of Makefile.inc1
: date: 2002/04/30 09:34:53;  author: ru;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -1
: Make crunchide(1) a cross-tool; needed for cross-arch "make release".
: Note that a.out is only supported for the non-cross i386 case.

For the "regular" cross-build the only tool that needed tweaking was
elf2aout(1):

: revision 1.282 of Makefile.inc1
: date: 2002/05/20 14:42:48;  author: ru;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
: Bootstrap elf2aout(1) for sparc64; used to build sys/boot/sparc64/boot1.

(Of course, both crunchide(1) and elf2aout(1) were "fixed" to
support different endianness host/target machines, for this to
work.)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age