On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:40:03AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Bruce Cran wrote:
> > I've had a problem with my DVD and CDRW drives under FreeBSD from 4.5
> > onwards.   In released prior to 4.7 I used to get panics, I think when the system
>had heavy I/O loads, such as when building world - I thought this may have been due
>to the VIA controller.   I installed DP2, and on one of the
> > boots, got:
> >
> > acd0: REQUEST_SENSE command timeout - resetting
> > ata1: resetting devices
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > fault trap address = 0x0
> > fault code = Supervisor read, page not present
> > instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc0151ca2
> > stack pointer = 0x10:0xd68e3c5c
> > frame pointer = 0x10:0xd68e3c70
> > code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type = 0x16
> >             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 l, gran 1
> >
> > processor eflags = interrupt enable resume, IOPL=0
> > current process = 13 (swi6:clock)
> > trap number = 12
> > panic : page fault
>
> This is a null ptr deref, most likely in the kern proc that calls
> the timeout handlers (since curproc is clock int.)  No idea what would
> cause this.

Is there anything I could do to help diagnose the problem?  I don't
think it's a problem with my hardware because both Linux and Windows run
perfectly with no errors.   I'd really love to make FreeBSD 5 my main
OS, but if it's going to be like 4.5 and 4.6 where I kept getting
panics, reboots and error messages, I'm not going to be able to.

> > Another possible bug I've found is in df.   I compiled a kernel then,
> > before overwriting the old backup, I tried running cp -ivR kernel.old
> > kernel.old.orig, forgetting that /boot wouldn't have enough free space.
> > When I next ran 'df -h' /boot was reporting -6MB free.  I deleted
> > /boot/kernel.old.orig and the free space was correctly reported again,
> > but is this a bug in df?   My filesytem is UFS1.
>
> No, this is correct since there is space reserved for root (see tunefs
> minfree)

Thanks, that does make sense, since I've often seen messages saying
space has been reserved for root's use.   I didn't expect it to show up as negative
free space, though - it's a nice feature.

> > how would I go about throttling it?  Are there any IOCTLs, or is this
> > feature only for laptops where they automatically get throttled when
> > running on batteries?  I know it probably doesn't make sense on a
> > desktop computer, but I'm interested - ACPI support seems brilliant, and
> > although hibernation doesn't seem to work, all the other features work
> > perfectly.
>
> man acpi, see also sysctl hw.acpi

I've had a good look through acpi, acpiconf and hw.acpi, but haven't
found any method to throttle the CPU manually, or automatically on a
desktop PC.   This is because the sysctl for the current speed is
read-only, and the only writeable sysctl set the speeds for full-speed
and economy modes, with no apparent way to switch between them.  Does FreeBSD handle
throttling automatically
depending on load, or is there some user-space program which I can use?

--
Bruce Cran