In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Marc Recht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > A conforming application cannot make use of facilities outside the
: > scope of the standard.  This means that if you define
: > _POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112L you don't want RPC.
: I don't said that the application is _strictly_ POSIX conforming. It only
: wants to use POSIX functions and RPC.
: FreeBSD's way seems to be not to define POSIX/XSI (and so) on to
: _indirectly_ get it and the BSD stuff

That's right.  We take great care to exclude all namespace pollution
when you ask for a specific standard.

: Another idea would be to make a WANT_STRICT_POSIX.

WANT_STRICT_POSIX is namespace pollution.

: > Not really.  Conforming applications have no trouble (obviously),
: > pseudo-conforming applications only need a little work (removing bogus
: > POSIX keywords that specify conformance), and non-conforming BSD
: > applications (the majority of software) have no problems.
: I had this in mind.
: http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/xbd_chap02.html:
:
: A conforming implementation shall meet all of the following criteria:
: [...]
: 4. The system may provide additional utilities, functions, or facilities
: not required by IEEE Std 1003.1-2001.

may != MUST.  We do not pollute the name space.  Providing additional
facilities pollutes the name space, breaking strictly conforming
programs.

Warner