Gordon Tetlow wrote:

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:46:03AM -0800, Mike Makonnen wrote:

>You misunderstood. I meant let's move the routing daemons from /usr/sbin to /sbin.
>I think if we have routed there we might as well have the others there. Actually we
>only need to move route6d to /sbin. I can't think of a reason you would need
>multicast routing before the whole system was up. I think we can live with and
>additional 42k on /.

Lest we forget, / is statically linked. that 42k binary turns into a 450k
binary in /sbin.
The / solution is wrong. For instance:

[root@piratinga root]# ls -l /usr/local/sbin/ospfd
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 471392 Dec 1 00:58 /usr/local/sbin/ospfd*
[root@piratinga root]# ls -l /usr/local/sbin/bgpd
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 691952 Dec 1 00:58 /usr/local/sbin/bgpd*

And these are dynamically linked.

Not to mention moving them to / would break the /usr/local paradigm.

And all this because... people don't want to break fs mounting in local and remote?

I saw break it, and have routing run after local. If your /usr is remote, then either you'll copy routed (or whatever you use) to a local disk, or you won't be using it.

People, let's face it. There *ARE* things you want to be run *after* local fs mount and *before* remote fs mount. And we are hurting ourselves in a few places just because we haven't admitted to it.

btw, someone mentioned a freebsd-rc list, but I found no such list. Mispelling? Not freebsd.org list? Delusions?

--
Daniel C. Sobral (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Can you buy friendship? You not only can, you must. It's the
only way to obtain friends. Everything worthwhile has a price.
-- Robert J. Ringer