<<On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:41:16 -0800, Joe Kelsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> So, is there some mechanism I am missing?  Is there a layer between the
> application calling sem_open and the kernel receiving the parameters
> that strips it down to the last component?  If there is a higher level
> involved here, why is the low-level ksem_create function worrying about
> embedded '/' characters?

I find this rather puzzling.  Speaking as a standards person, I can
state with some certainty that *the name of a POSIX semaphore is
intended to have path name semantics*.  It is not required to be an
actual path name, but there is a clear expectation that a quality
implementation will do so.  The POSIX developers saw these IPC objects
as being analogous to shared memory objects or fifos, and did not see
a compelling reason to invent an entirely new namespace for them.

Stevens actually suggests an implementation of named semaphores in
which the semaphore is represented by a file which contains the name
(``key'') of an SVID semaphore.

-GAWollman