Hi,

There's trouble in the /etc/rc.d/ipfw script in how it changes things versus the 4.7 /etc/rc.network script when it comes to NAT in certain configurations.

For example, on my home gateway box, rc.conf contains:

# Network address translation:
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface=""
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

Notice that I deliberately do NOT list any interfaces because I am using an explicit configuration file (the "-f /etc/natd.conf" flags). Under 4.7-STABLE, the natd daemon will be started appropriately even though the natd_interface variable is empty, so long as natd_enable is "YES" and so long as I am smart enough to have some sort of configuration available to natd.

Under 5.0-RC1, /etc/rc.d/ipfw makes a 2-line change, moving the lines that actually start the natd daemon up inside of an if statement. This means folks like myself who use an explicit configuration file (i.e. I don't run natd on any one specific interface - I run it inbound on one interface, outbound on another using a custom ipfw ruleset and natd configuration file) cannot have natd auto-start without changing /etc/rc.d/ipfw or starting it by hand somewhere else.

May I request that the two lines in /etc/rc.d/ipfw that start natd be moved down a few lines outside of the enclosing "if" block so that the functionality many of us -STABLE users are accustomed to may be returned? If not, can anyone shed some light on why it's a bad idea and offer any suggestions to me? (I like to make as few changes to my BSD box as possible to have it run how I want it to.)

Thanks!

Aaron out.

----- NATD section of /etc/rc.d/ipfw as I would like to see it -----
# Network Address Translation daemon
#
if checkyesno natd_enable; then
if [ -n "${natd_interface}" ]; then
if echo ${natd_interface} | \
grep -q -E '^[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+){0,3}$'; then
natd_flags="$natd_flags -a ${natd_interface}"
else
natd_flags="$natd_flags -n ${natd_interface}"
fi
fi
echo -n ' natd'
${natd_program:-/sbin/natd} ${natd_flags} ${natd_ifarg}
fi