On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 18:00 +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > I think it would be more profitable to teach "whereintheworld" about
> > the "(ignored)" string, wouldn't it ?
>
> No; it would be more profitable to teach programmers to not ignore errors.

Amen! :]

Although the above case is special from what I learnt in another
message in this thread (I managed to delete it after seeing it so
I cannot quote it here).  ISTR that the non zero exit status comes
from a tool with the following convention:  0 is "absolutely OK",
1 is "not perfect but still plausible enough to get accepted most
of the time", and 2 is "a real error, never OK".

So the exit code of 1 is more of a warning than an error.  Ignoring
_any_ non zero exit status in the Makefile is an error.  The rule
should instead accept success and warning messages as success while
bailing out on the errors.  This can be done with shell syntax as I
have seen in some small test:

  $ sh -c 'exit 0'; [ $? -le 1 ]
  $ echo $?
  0

  $ sh -c 'exit 1'; [ $? -le 1 ]
  $ echo $?
  0

  $ sh -c 'exit 2'; [ $? -le 1 ]
  $ echo $?
  1

  $ sh -c 'exit 3'; [ $? -le 1 ]
  $ echo $?
  1

This means:  adding the "[ $? -le 1 ]" test to the Makefile rule
and *not* ignoring the command's (sequence's) exit status will
prevent the acceptable warning from stopping the build while real
errors do break the build as one would expect from make(1).  And
the mentioned tool (sorry, I don't remember its name) is still
able to warn those who are interested (release builders?).

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" [EMAIL PROTECTED]