Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, walt wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Better plan:  Abandon BSD labels before disks outgrow them.
> >
> > To be replaced by....what?
>
> gpt
> I don't know where it comes from but I believe it's the native partition
> format for ia64 architecture machines.

Pros:
- fully 64 bit clean
- maximum of 16384 partitions
- unique id's for disks, partitions and OS types.
- we already have the basic code support for it in the tree.
- its on intel's roadmap for future i386 servers (for what thats worth) along
  with EFI.
- it is possible to boot from, but needs new boot code written(*).

Cons:
- If you follow the spec strictly, it will not share disks with another
fdisk-using OS.   If strictly implemented according to the specs, it
replaces the fdisk MBR and owns the entire disk.  Our code however isn't
that strict and will accept a GPT inside an MBR slice, meaning for i386 we
can use GPT as a replacement for disklabel.
- Booting is "interesting"(*).

* - When GPT is used with EFI, the firmware has got a mini OS in rom
which has native FAT32 file system support, which means we can just mount
the boot partition and copy "loader.efi" in there and there are *no*
bootblocks..  However, if we were to use it standalone we would not have
this and would have to boot ourselves.  The way this would be done is to put
real boot code in the MBR, which would scan the gpt table to find a boot
"partition" that contained the equivalent of what is now boot2.  We could
make this as big as we liked, but I'd imagine it would be 64K by default.
That boot2 code would then be able to read UFS natively, just like now.
In other words, it wouldn't be all that different to now except that
somebody has to write it.  Alternatively, we could deviate a bit from the
"strict" specs and reserve the entire first track for boot code and avoid
the problem that way.  This would be easier and less likely to run into
major code space pressure problems as it wouldn't have to parse GPT tables.

Personally, unless EFI on i386 actually gets off the ground, if somebody is
seriously considering this, I'd be inclined to suggest using a fairly loose
gpt interpretation and using gpt as a replacement for disklabel inside a
freebsd slice.  That way it is easy to "play nice" with other OS's and
less pain to deal with for booting.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]