On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:10:03AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:

> But before the conversation gets off topic, I want to know where acpi
> disabling is documented so I can point people to the doc instead of
> answering the same question over and over.

It's documented in loader(8), device.hints(5), and INSTALL.TXT.
>From INSTALL.TXT

   4.2.1. My system hangs while probing hardware during boot, or it behaves
   strangely during install, or the floppy drive isn't probed.

   FreeBSD 5.0 and above makes extensive use of the system ACPI service on
   the i386 platform to aid in system configuration if it's detected during
   boot. Unfortunately, some bugs still exist in both the ACPI driver and
   within system motherboards and BIOS. The use of ACPI can be disabled by
   setting the ``hw.acpi.0.disable'' hint in the third stage boot loader:

     set.hw.acpi.0.disabled=1

   This is reset each time the system is booted, so it might be necessary to
   set it permanently in the file /boot/loader.conf. More inforation about
   the boot loader can be found in the FreeBSD Handbook.

--
Steve