Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:> "Kevin Oberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The first question is a bit tougher.

Not at all.  Just prepare the slice so that it contains at least an
'a' partition (so you can boot from it), mount the fresh partitions in
the correct places in relation to eachother (e.g. ad0s2a on /mnt,
ad0s2d on /mnt/var, ad0s2e on /mnt/usr), then install 5.0 on the
appropriate partitions.  There are a number of ways to do the latter:

 - if you have successfully built a 5.0 world, do an installworld with
   DESTDIR set to the root of the empty partitions (/mnt in our
   example).  Then go into the 'etc' directory in your 5.0 source tree
   and do 'make distribution', again with DESTDIR set to the root of
   the appropriate partitions.  You will also need to build and
   install a kernel, and install the first- and second-stage loaders
   (using disklabel -B); the 4.x loaders should work fine, but you can
   force disklabel to use the 5.0 loaders:

# disklabel -B -b /mnt/boot/boot1 -s /mnt/boot/boot2 ad0s2
[For reference, I moved the base mountpoint to /5.]

How do tell make to use /5/usr/obj instead of /usr/obj? Will MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj do this?

I have more questons:

Can I force make to ignore /etc/make.conf and /etc/defaults/make.conf and
read another set of config files? Would it be safe to use /5/usr/src/etc/defaults/make.conf?

Will DESTDIR=/5 cause the new build tools to install under /5 as well, or do I need to set something else to avoid having my 4.7p3 build tools clobbered?

So far I have this set of commands:

# cd /5/usr/src && MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make buildworld
# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make kernel
# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make installworld
# cd /5/usr/src/etc && DESTDIR=/5 make distribution
# cd /5/usr/src/release/sysinstall && make clean && make all install
# install -o root -g wheel -m 0555 /5/usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /5/dev/MAKEDEV
# cd /5/dev && ./MAKEDEV all ad4 ad4s2h ad4s3h ad4s4h ums1 vn1 vty16
# disklabel -B -b /mnt/boot/boot1 -s /mnt/boot/boot2 /dev/ad4s3