>three file systems, one of which came up dirty.  fsck -y reported
>thousands of errors, and when it was finished, my home directory and
>some other files were gone, and all the subdirectories of my home

This may (or may not) have anything to do with it, but I had a problem with
a couple of filesystem back in September that had the error:  (Running on
RELENG_4 that was very recent at the time)

        CG 22: BAD MAGIC NUMBER

fsck -y gave thousands of errors (similar to what you had) and when it was
done, nothing was on the filesystem.  (I didn't think to check lost+found at
the time, just restored the filesystem, so the files may have been placed in
there)

During the space of 2 days, I had a total of 3 of these on two different
systems.  Forcing a mount (without cleaning) on the other two showed a
perfect filesystem (which I backed up, newfs'd and restored).  I even
compared one of these with a backup and there wasn't a single thing
different.  It sort of baffled me at the time, since one of those
filesystems didn't have any writing (other than atime perhaps) and still had
the error.

I haven't had a problem since then, and I know there are quite a bit of
changes between 4 and 5, but it really does sound similar.  At least the
fsck part sounds almost exactly the same.

Jaime bozza