Damien U wrote:
Hello,

I will firstly say that although I am not experienced with freeBSD, I have been using Linux for some time. I obtained the first ISO in the set for FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE last saturday, here are the problems I have been experiencing whilst attempting to install it.

2) Cannot create partition for FreeBSD

I can create a "slice" for freeBSD in fdisk, but it calls the partition "X". When I go to commit the changes to hard drive and start the install, freeBSD complains that it cannot find "/dev/X". I have found no way to correct the name in fdisk.

Here is my partition table as reported by cfdisk under linux:

 Name    Part Type   FS Type     Size (MB)
 hda1    Primary     NTFS        20974.47
 hda2    Primary     Ext3        10487.24
 hda3    Primary     Linux Swap  205.64
 hda5    Logical     FAT32       10511.91
 hda6    Logical     Reiserfs    10692.87
 hda7    Logical     Reiserfs    10001.95
         Logical     Free Space  17149.71
The BSD family of operating systems must be installed in a 'primary' partition,
i.e. those numbered from 1 to 4.  More correctly, the root partition / must be
in a primary partition -- FreeBSD will happily use a 'logical' partition for
any other partition, but not for /.

You could copy your ext3 filesystem into a logical partition in free space
and then install FBSD in hda2 -- or ad0s2 as FBSD would call it.

I understand that this restriction is not theoretically necessary, but just
because the bootloader (and perhaps other code) has never been extended to use
logical partitions.

I would guess that FBSD 4.7 will not even let you attempt to create a partition
in the free space, but I can't recall for sure.