<quote who="Toni Schmidbauer">
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:14:36PM +0100, FredBriand wrote:
>> everything seems OK, but my sound card. In the handbook they
>> say I must use the MAKEDEV script (as in Linux) but I can't
>> find it on my disk.
>
> freebsd 5.0 is using devfs(5). so device inodes are created
> automatically.
>
> for your soundcard be sure to enable pcm(4) in your kernel.
>
> for info on compiling a new kernel see the freebsd handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

It may be easier to just load the module.  Try adding it to your
/boot/loader.conf.  For a list of available sound modules try
grep ^snd /boot/defaults/loader.conf.  If you don't know what
your card is just type "kldload snd"
That will load all sound drivers and "dmesg" will show you which
one actually supports your card.  Once you know, put that one in
your /boot/loader.conf.  If your driver requires pcm, the loader
will load it as a dependancy.

Adam

--
Adam Migus - Research Scientist