Well looks like it does work after all! I must not have created my install
floppies correctly (panic was couldn't find init btw) . I moved a few a
drives onto a 5i just so i could get 5.0 installed and running and
recompiled the kernel with said patch and i can see and write to the drives. i
have not tried booting off them yet but i will email back once i have.

Should i submit a PR for this?