Hi,

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
Paul A. Mayer said on Feb 10, 2003 at 11:01:45:

Hi Rahul,

Well, it compiles on 5.0-Release-p1. The psm initialization gives some specs about the device and some of it's features. ... but I don't see any consequences of this in apps, like mozilla. And under gnome the pressure sensitivity of the touchpad (e.g., tap to click) is now gone.

Yes, this was noted back then.  See
 http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+archive/2003/freebsd-hackers/20030112.freebsd-hackers

I have no great understanding of how any of this should work. Can you give some pointers. (How do I get touch sensitivity back? How should it be configured into X? Where should I be able to see the effects of the patch?)

Well, without doing anything, you should be able to see some activity
from the "up" button: in my case, it worked by default as a middle
button, while the "down" button did nothing but showed up in xev, for
example.  Basically, left=1, up=2 right=3 ,down=4.

What I really wanted was for "up" to mean up, "down" to mean down, and
I was happy to emulate "middle" with simultaneous left-right as
before.  The following does it for me: I run moused with the options
-m 5=4 -m 4=2 -a 0.5
(the -a is because this driver scales the speed up a bit too much
for my liking).  And in my XF86Config I have
        Option       "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option       "Buttons"  "5"
I *don't* have the Option "ZAxisMapping "4 5" which the howto's
for wheel mice will tell you to insert -- seems it's there by default.
And if I insert it, curiously, it stops working...
This was very helpful and works as you describe.  Thank you very much!

/Paul