Soeren Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It seems Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

Then on one of the messages, I noticed a link to Patrick Bihan-Faou's problem report, read it, and tried out his patch under 5.0-CURRENT (having completed my install of 5.0-RELEASE and updated to -CURRENT). Of course the line numbers were a bit different, but a hand patch of the two files was quick and easy. A quick kernel recompile, BIOS re-enable of UDMA, and boot proved the patch worked!
The patch does *not* work, the reason you have it sortof working is that
the driver writes to the wrong regs, and your BIOS set up the mode
correctly..
I have a working solution here, and it will get committed to -current
as soon as I have it tested some more. This cannot easily be backported
to -stable since it is part of a major rewrite of parts of the ATA
driver. However when it has proven to be working, I'll try to get the
SiS part backported to the older ATA driver in -stable, time permitting...

-Søren
Thanks for the clarification. I'd better disable UDMA on my system then to avoid any data corruption. Would it be a good idea to annotate the PR with your above comments? My initial reading of the PR made it sound like the patch would work in a kludgy way without problems while your complete update was in the works. From your above comments, this interpretation was wrong. The patch is buggy and dangerous.

I'll keep my eyes open for your fix. Thanks again for your work and for taking the time to let me know this.

Aaron out.