From: Pascal Giannakakis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 12 February 2003 22:34
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: shutdown / reboot causes filesystem-errors

LO,

after I cvsupped the system to the most recent version, I found out what

the reason of locking during boot was (at least for me): corrupt FS. It
seems like a shutdown / reboot leaves the filesystem dirty, which means
to get the server up I need to run fsck from the fixit-image.

As usual this problem is somewhat beyond my knowledge, so i hope
somebody can tell me a) how to pinpoint the exact problem and b) fix it.

Another thing that I have been struggeling for ages is how to make the
kernel boot verbose. Neither "boot -v" nor setting the variable or entry

in /boot/loader.conf works. The syslog does not reveal any information.
What's the deal?

TIA

# CRASHTEST - Tony's -current kernel

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
options         CPU_ENABLE_SSE
ident           CRASHTEST
maxusers        0

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #gdb debug symbols.
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 #Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big directories
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
#options        SCSI_DELAY=1500         #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         SCHED_ULE               # Experimental new scheduler.

# Debugging for use in -current
options         DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
options         INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal structures,
required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals (Required for USB Mass storage..)
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code. # NOTE: Be sure to
keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
device          xl              # 3C90x.

#Sound Card
device          pcm
device          sbc
device          midi
device          seq

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          sl              # Kernel SLIP
device          ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device          bpf     # Berkeley packet filter
device          snp     # tty sniffer.

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners